Friday, May 17, 2013

Feverish Friday...it only hurts when I swallow.

I don't actually have a fever, I just thought it sounded good for a Friday title.  ;)

So, we're all passing around some kind of cold, involving a sore throat and congestion.  I woke up this morning with my throat hurting...only when I swallow though.  I was frustrated because today was supposed to be my long run.  The weather is perfect, I was going to drive into the next town and run a route I have not run before to get my 6 miles in.  I decided to run anyway but stick near home with my normal route up around the park and lake.  I left my water and fuel sitting on the back of the car in the driveway so I could run by halfway through and try out refueling! 

First pass around the lake was beautiful, throat not bothering me at all...unless I swallowed.  LOL.




 I wanted to find out what my 10K pace was at a comfortable speed, so I paced myself, which looks like somewhere around 10:30-10:45.  Beautiful run and felt fantastic and like I could do more by the time I got back to the house around 3.25.  I grabbed my fuel, a GU energy gel, Chocolate Outrage, tore it open and hoped for the best.  OHMEHGERD!  This stuff was fantastic! 
 

Let me just clarify here...I bought this variety pack of GU stuff, they don't know I exist, they didn't pay me,  I'm not getting anything for giving my opinion... this stuff is THE BOMB!  It was like thick brownie batter.  I got as much out as I could, chugged some water and headed back out.  

Second shot around the lake wasn't as pretty.  Not only had the clouds moved in, but looks like my phone camera lens got foggy b/c I was sweating all over it! LOL.  This may be an issue for the Princess.  I MUST have good pics!  It's a requirement! 




I never lost any energy like I usually do, so either the fueling helped or it's a great placebo!  Whatever works, I felt strong and steady the whole run.  I tried not to push too fast at the end, but I know I will in the race, so I sped up a bit at the end of the 6.2  

Hit 10K, stopped the Garmin, and took a picture.  WOOT!!!!!!!!  Looky looky!  1:06:43!!!


Really, really excited, my hope was 1:08!  I started it back up and ran another half a mile home, making the run my longest to date!  6.75 miles.  Take THAT sore throat!  

So, I would love to be profound here, but it's not really a profound post.  I wanted to do my long run, I had a sore throat, I did it anyway, feel fantastic, and ended up with a PB

QUESTIONS FOR TODAY:
Have you ever run sick and gotten a PB?  

Do you think I should get a Point & Shoot instead of my camera phone for the race?  (btw, Rey thinks this is NUTS as I will never use it after the race, seeing as I have a DSLR) 


18 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB KAREN!!!!!! WOO!!! I actaully ran my 6 miles with a headache on Wednesday. I almost didn't even attempt to run..and look what happened? I made 6 miles! I think what really made the six miles was the fact that I ran in my new tank top that will be the top of my Cheshire Cat outfit! ALong with the hot pink compression socks. :) Congrats! Great end to your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Haha! I do the same thing...I swear I run better when I look cute! LOL! I cannot wait to see pics of your costume!

      Delete
  2. I'll be using my iPhone 5 camera during the Princess....it takes great pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Galaxy takes fantastic pics for a phone, but I'll have to keep an eye on this foggy thing that happened today. I think it was b/c I had it in the pocket of my compression shorts and it fogged up the lens!

      Delete
  3. Great PB! On a totally unrelated note- when I got sick in school, I always ended up with an A on my exams. lol.
    I have a P&S that I use on my runs. I have a hard time taking pictures with one hand with my phone, probably because I'm too afraid of dropping it. I always keep my P&S in my purse. I have a DSLR as well, but it's too big to lug around all the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it takes 2 hands to take pics with my phone, a p&s would be way easier. I'm also concerned that CM's won't know how to use my phone and the pics won't come out well. I hate to purchase a p&s just for the race though and I know I will never use it again. I wonder if I can find a friend with a decent p&s that will let me borrow it for the race?

      Delete
  4. Dang that is awesome!! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, my phone camera was INCREDIBLY sweaty during the Princess Half. When I took my finisher picture with my medal at the end, the volunteer actually wiped my phone off 3 times before she could get a really great picture. If you could carry your camera, I would get a point and shoot if you're worried about pictures for the half! My pictures turned out okay for the most part, but it was overcast anyway, but sweat definitely put a film over the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I think I really will have to see if I can borrow a p&s. I'm just concerned that they won't be able to get a shot with it and I want those photos! I'm willing to pay for the professional shots as well, but I don't know if they take them of you with the characters??

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have actually found that colds don't affect my runs much at all. If anything, running makes me feel better when I have a cold. Congrats on such a great run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! I totally forgot when I was running that I wasn't feeling 100%. I'm glad you posted, I just went over and subscribed to your blog with Bloglovin'!

      Delete
  8. Ooh congrats! The run scenery also looks just beautiful :) I've tried running/working out when feeling sick (even if it's just a small thing) but my body goes all wimpy on me and outright refuses ;) As for cameras whilst running, quite a few blogs seem to produce good photos with iPhones - I've just invested in a cheap Olympus point and shoot though, it hasn't arrived yet but seems to be pretty small so I think I'd be happy using that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear how the Olympus works for you! My Galaxy S3 takes FANTASTIC shots, BUT, it's difficult to hold steady and hit the button at the same time. I don't have a problem with it, but my husband struggles with it when he takes me picture, so I'm worried that if I hand the phone to a CM to take a picture, they won't be able to get it to take a good shot.

      Delete
  9. I tried to GU Blackberry or Berry something, I was not impressed. But if you are telling me I could be sipping on something like brownie batter AND still get a run in, I'm going to give it another try! Hey if you wanna pace each other for Princess I'm game too! Hahaha Congratulations on your time! That is fantastic, Wonder Woman with the sore throat and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, I'm telling you...it was like thick brownie batter! I'm sort of bummed that I bought a variety pack because now I have to try all the other kinds and what I really want to do is just order a case of that chocolate outrage!

      Delete
  10. 1. congrats on the PR
    2. I love gu... but the chocolate flavors can be hit or miss. I do like the vanilla or the chocolate cherry ones. you got to try these.
    3. i have an SLR and a craptastic camera phone in my dumb-phone. I got a point and shoot last summer for another event but found that it can easily fit into a case and hang on my ifitness belt for easy access during races. probably one of my must haves for all races now.

    ReplyDelete