Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Running is changing me...

I know, today is Tempo Tuesday, and I did my tempo run, but I have been wanting to share some feelings I have been having lately instead. 



I'm physically changing, and that's fantastic, but this is something more.  I'm changing on the inside. 


I feel...peaceful...open...happy...the list goes on and on.  This isn't something I really expected and the scientific gal in me says this is endorphins, but it feels like more.  It's carrying over into everything I do.  I have spent a better part of my life being critical of myself and others in my head.  I would often say that if you are happy with yourself and content with your beliefs, then you are ok with other people having their own feelings and beliefs, but yet I would still struggle with feeling like I was "right" or I knew the "correct" way of doing things.

This is changing!  I find that the more I push myself with running and the more I am amazed at what I can do, the more I believe is possible in the world.  I feel like my mind and heart are opening to so many things.  I'm not necessarily changing any of my own beliefs, not at all, but I'm not so worried about anyone else and know that there are many paths.   I feel like judging myself and others less is making my heart open to life. 


I have noticed how this thinking is changing my reactions to things.  Yesterday someone was driving REALLY close behind me b/c I was passing on the highway (and I guess I wasn't passing fast enough).  I immediately felt that super-frustrated-annoying feeling start to take over, but instead of letting it take over, I just acknowledged it and let it go.  I got over and went on with my day.  I realized that I am often so easily frustrated by little things and that thinking negative thoughts all the time (regardless of how little) was just a vicious cycle.



and so I feel like talking and focusing on joyful things and the many blessings in my life!  I feel calmer, more peaceful, happier...and I know that this has come from my running.  This morning during my run I was grasping for a word to describe what I feel like when I'm running and it popped into my head.  Mindful.  I feel like running is making me more mindful and present in the here and now and somehow this is translating to PEACE for me.  I'm not even sure if I can properly express it, but that's why I'm blogging about it, right?  ;)


What has running done for YOU? 

16 comments:

  1. Beautifully worded :) I honestly have the same exact feelings and changes in my own mind too. It really is more than just exercise, it becomes a lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had no idea that it would change my thoughts and feelings so much!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am noticing the same. amazing, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so amazing! I guess I should prepare for more smile lines b/c I'm smiling all the time as well!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful description of the way it makes you feel. I find myself hitting a certain level during my runs that force me to smile. Sometimes I attribute it to the song that comes on, but most of the time it's caused by me feeling good and proud that I am not panting and dying out there. It's been described as a 'runners high' and that is exactly what it feels like. Taking that feeling out into the world is a giant step to personal contentment. Good feelings are more contagious than negative, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came over from MFP to read my blog!! *squeal* You described it perfectly! I feel like I'm taking my runners high into the world! It feels fantastic.

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully put! Love it! I also feel that running has completely changed my life: I feel a sense of calm all the time, my self confidence has risen, and I feel like anything is attainable if you put your mind to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Yes, I'm much calmer and feel more peaceful!

      Delete
  6. So awesome!!! Running has changed me too...and I love the change! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how such a basic thing like running can change a person inside and out. But it's a very real thing. Glad to read about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am in awe most of the time! Thanks for posting Frank!

      Delete
  8. Just love it, Karen.

    ReplyDelete