Sunday, August 18, 2013

Weekly Wrap-up

Well, it's not much of a weekly wrap-up!  I ran 3 miles this week.  Yep.  It was a glorious 3 miles, just Friday afternoon, after resting all week.  The back of my heel felt ok during the run, but I was stiff for a bit because I hadn't run all week.  Felt great, BUT...we went to the zoo all day yesterday with Rey's family and it's hurting again.  Gah! 
See the tiny giraffe whispering in my ear? LOL

We had a fantastic day, even if it did aggravate this bizarre injury.  It's been three years since the kids have seen Rey's parents and sister.  


AND, my mama came, she's who took the pic for us! 


Rey already left this morning and his parents leave tomorrow morning.  I'm going to have to figure out what's going on with my heel.  When I took my shoe off after the zoo yesterday, there was a big red mark where the shoe is pushing on the back of my foot (the heel shield thingie).  It's NOT a blister, and doesn't feel like rubbing, but all three pair of my PureFlows are doing this, or at least hurt when I put them on, so I'm unsure what is going on.  I've been wearing this shoe for months and don't know what would cause it to do this, but either way, it makes my heel feel bruised??  

More later, we're off to go bowling!  Hope everyone had a nice weekend!   

Editing to update:  Bowling shoes were a no-go, but I bowled anyway with it just slipped on but the heel smooshed down.    When I got home last night I hit the back of my heel with my other foot by accident and it was SO painful.  I believe it's swollen and that's why the shoes bother it, but thinking right now that it's not actually the shoes, just that the shoes are pushing on the injury.  I'm not in any pain when I'm walking barefoot or in flipflops, so I think I will just have to rest another week (*heaving sigh*) and hope it heals up.  I have a 5K on Saturday I want to run.  Superheros!  Don't want to miss that!

18 comments:

  1. Hmm that does sound strange. Either you have an actual injury and the area is swollen so your shoe is bothering it or the shoes are suddenly not working for you. You didn't change anything else? Non-running shoes? Socks? It is just bizarre that the shoe has left a mark on your foot. I'd be trying another pair of shoes, but that's probably why I've got credit card debt, ;). I hope whatever it is resolves itself soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am thinking now that it's a mild injury and the shoe is pushing on it. It makes no sense that the shoe would just start causing a problem out of the blue with no changes. More rest for me. :/ How are you doing? You have a 10K coming, right?

      Delete
    2. Yep my twilight trail run 10k is Friday night. I was hoping to get my first "official" sub one hour time in a race, but may have to reassess my goal based on my slow crappy runs lately and because it's going to be a night run and a trail run and it's so horribly hot here right now.

      Hope that heel of yours gets better! Mine is still a little touchy but not swollen or really hurting. More like just stiff and a little tender.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like tendonitis. It can cause redness and a bump on your Achilles tendon. Rest, ice and IBU are generally the treatment. I am not a doctor so, of course, you may want to check with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm pretty sure you are right. Last night I bumped it hard with my other foot by accident and it was SO painful, I'm pretty sure it's swollen and that's why the shoe is bothering it. I hope when it heals my shoes won't bother it anymore.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried taping it? It might alleviate some pain?

    I'm glad you got to see Ray and go to the Zoo! That sounds like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried taping b/c ANY pressure or pushing on it makes it hurt. If I'm just sitting here or walking barefoot, it's fine (well, I can feel it's a bit tight) it's when the shoe (or anything) touches it that it hurts. Rey says I should become a barefoot runner. ;)

      Delete
  4. Injuries are the worst! I hope you get it resolved really soon! I love that picture of you and Rey. You look beautiful and so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I hate injuries. It felt so good to run the other day and I've been an emotional wreck not having that outlet and endorphins.

      Delete
  5. Love the little giraffe! Glad you had such a great time with your family, even if your foot is still giving you trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! 10 days for you!!!!!!!! Whoohooo!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Haha that pic with the Giraffe whisperingin your ear is SO cute and funny! Glad you were able to have so much fun with you hubby this week :)

    I hope your foot gets better soon that sounds like terrible pain! I would definitely ice it all week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! It was really nice, but I will admit that we both said after he left back out that it felt like he had NOT been home, really, because we had his family in town. I hope the next 3 weeks go fast!

      Delete
  7. Hope you find some relief soon! Injuries stink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully some rest will heal me right up. Better now than later in the winter when I'm upping my miles!

      Delete
  8. GREAT pics, so glad you got to spend time with all the family. Maybe rest one more week, but if no improvement, you might want to have it looked at---just so that you can know for sure what is going on and what the right treatment for it would be. Good luck!! Probably isn't anything major---just majorly ANNOYING, huh?? ;-) I'm actually heading to the podiatrist at lunchtime because my toes are doing that funky achy/buring thing again---I can change my gait so that it doesn't hurt when I run, hurts the worst when I'm in dress shoes and just walking normal---but that is every weekday, so something needs to be done about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Sorry about your toes, hope you figure that out. I've had a couple times where my toes or my foot was bothering me on a run and actually stopped, took my shoe off, put it back on and retied, and then it was fine? No idea why. As for my heel, it got better after 6 days last week, I just pushed it with the zoo and so I'm hoping another week of rest will fix me right up!

      Delete
  9. Looks like you guys had a great day! Hopefully your foot issue clears up soon =(

    ReplyDelete