Sunday, January 26, 2014

4 weeks to go!!!!

It's seriously just 4 weeks?!?


I don't know about you, but other than the concerns I have about my knee, I'm ready to go to Orlando.  It's cold here, like the worst winter in over ten years kinda cold...I'm ready for some Florida sun!  I'm ready for time to speed up because I really can't do a ton of running before the race and doubt I'll get in anymore long runs.   My biggest worry is that I'll lose my stamina but feel like resting the knee has to take precedence over that. 

I'm being good.  I ordered a foam roller and it's on the way.  Until then I have been using a rolling pin and a tennis ball.  I found a lot of info on rolling and stretching quads to help with runners knee.  The first time I rolled them, my right quad was much more painful, which makes sense since my right knee is the one that is bothering me.  

Uh... I might have overdone the rolling a bit though...
who, me?!?!


I'm pretty sore, BUT,  it really did seem to help my knee a bit to roll the quads.  I'm taking things slow and properly taped and wore my brace to run this week.  I only ran 1 mile on the treadmill Thursday (first time in a week I had run) and then today I ran... 

3 miles!! 
 
The good news is my cardio really has not suffered from the break in running.  I am slower because of the knee but I felt like cardio-wise I could have gone the whole distance!  My head and my lungs were in it!  It felt so fantastic to run.

The bad news is that it was not pain free.  My right knee, even taped with a brace, gave me some trouble.  I tried to take a few walk breaks and that seemed to help.  I slowed my pace and noticed that downhills hurt more than anything, so adjusted accordingly.  I'm not sure I could have done 13.1 today in the state I'm in, but at least it's a start.  More resting this week, it looks like I may only run once a week until the race.
 
Since I haven't been able to run a lot, I have started doing a 10 minute arm workout video that I found on Pinterest.  I'm doing it each morning and my arms are pretty sore.  Maybe that's why I seem to have an arm raising theme going on in my gif's today.  ;)



 So! Who else is ready for the Princess Half?


Told you there was a theme!
Today is Rey's last day home and when he heads out tomorrow, I will not see him again until I have finished a half marathon! 
 That is crazy. It's definitely getting real around here.

 Are you feeling ready?  Have you started packing? 
(ahem...I admit it, I have. LOL)


25 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Princess that I keep forgetting I have my first half on Saturday! I should probably make sure I'm ready for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, good luck to you next week Lauren! I can't wait to hear all about it, even if it's not as amaze-balls as the Princess! LOL

      Delete
  2. which roller did you order? i had a foam roller but found that it wasn't cutting it. then i went and got the stick. absolutely love that puppy. take it along with me to every race and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, it was a fairly cheap one off Amazon to see if I like it. I think I would like the stick too because after I ordered the roller I started using my wooden rolling pin and really like it! I may end up feeling like the foam roller is too soft. Can I take a rolling pin on an airline??? LOL

      Delete
    2. i was able to take the stick in my carry on bag. i dont think a rolling pin is on the no fly list... so you might be able to get some laughs at the airport. but toss it in with your other running stuff. that way if they say anything, you can be like "i'm a runner it is part of my running tools and i keep it with my shoes and sweat bands. you should try it." if i could be a fly on the wall. lol

      Delete
    3. LOL...I can just see it now... I have been using a tennis ball and actually like it more than the rolling pin, so I may bring that just to save space!

      Delete
  3. 4 weeks - OMG! I'm so excited. I did my "30 day countdown" on my blog the other day, but somehow 4 weeks sounds SHORTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem so short now! I have 26 days until I leave for Orlando! I'm crazy excited, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for the next 4 weeks though. LOL

      Delete
  4. I'm totally ready for the race. I can't believe its that soon... Given how hard it has been to get my long runs in, I'm a teeny bit stressed that its coming up so soon... but I know I'll get to the finish line regardless - crawl, walk, run, jog, wog....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days (luckily today is one of them!) I feel like no matter what I'll get there and things will be fine. Other days I'm concerned I'll be in so much pain by the later miles that I won't...there are going to be huge waterworks at the finish after all this stressing and injury stuff!

      Delete
  5. I have all our running outfits done ( with the exception of putting the finishing touches on Lacey's which I will have to do when I see her at WDW), reservations made, tickets are here, magic bands are here, everything is ready but ME! For months I have been "Ready" and waiting for this race. Ready to rock it out, I'd been feeling good about my 13.1 miles in a little over 2 hours! Now, not so much! I NEEED MORE TIME. I am struggling with pain just like you and now I'm not even sure I'll be able to run it! But regardless, I will cross the finish line if I have to crawl!
    BTW: You CAN take the rolling pin on the plane. The "Stick" people usually have a booth at the expo, so you can purchase one of those there too. ( Umm, just a little heads up, We have a giveaway that we have to do sometime after PHM which would include some of these products...hint hint). I hope you are on your way to recovery soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meranda!! That sounds exciting, I cannot wait to hear more!

      Delete
  6. I am so excited that our race is NEXT month. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so NOT ready. Costumes still in progress. Bad race to get out of my head. NO Fast Pass + es made. No dining reservations made! I'm not even sure if Erik and I are taking Eli with us! Ack!!

    Glad you got three miles in! I think the foam roller will help a lot! I'll probably have my foam roller and my stick with me (driving is awesome, I'll likely have my Keurig machine and my blender too!) at POP if you want to borrow mine! We're going to have a great time, #TakeAllThePictures and #GoToAllTheMeetups! And get some awesome bling in the process!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go make some fastpasses, it will make you feel like you are doing something and get you excited! Did you get your magicbands yet? I have a friend that is coming up just for 1 day and I told her she had to bring a coffee maker! LOL...I cannot go without coffee before the race! I'm so excited, we're going to have so much fun!

      Delete
  8. Yay 4 weeks!! I'm so excited for you!! I can't wait to hear all about your race experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping you feel better soon! i'm glad you're using a foam roller. It's my favorite thing...we have a love/hate relationship ;) I'm so ready for Princess...but I'm also ready for this bronchitis to be GONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for my foam roller to arrive! I actually like the pain/relief feeling I'm getting when rolling...so maybe I'll like the foam roller too! BE GONE bronchitis! There. I made it go away. :)

      Delete
  10. Whahooo 4 weeks will go by so quick! What a fun post you put together, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! I hope it does, I'm ready to do this!

      Delete
  11. 3 miles is a good start! I think your approach to this is great - take it easy, roll lots and work on strength. It's good that we have packing and anxiously checking to see if we've gotten corral info from runDisney to distract us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I'm anxious too, especially since I saw some mistakes in placement going on for W&D and people having issues getting them fixed! I'm nervous they will not have taken my proof and put me in the last corral or something. I need that cushion more than ever now with my knee.

      Delete
  12. I really hope your knee eases up before the race! Have you tried BioFreeze or Atomic Balm under your knee brace? I use it and it's like a God-send...and the best part is they have BioFreeze on the Disney race course! It will be here so soon! I'm ready! :D

    ReplyDelete